Common Road Defects in Philadelphia
Car accidents in Philadelphia, PA, are often caused by motorists. Their careless or negligent conduct causes the collision. However, road defects could be a factor in the cause of some car accidents.
The Philadelphia road defect accident lawyers of Zavodnick & Lasky Personal Injury Lawyers work to recover money for your damages after a car crash. We have over 80 years of combined legal experience and have been practicing in Philadelphia since 1985. Our law firm has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients to help them recover and move forward after catastrophic injuries and accidents.
Contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyers.
How Zavodnick & Lasky Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You After a Car Accident
Road defect car crashes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, can cause physical injuries and property damage. The financial loss can be substantial.
Unfortunately, car accidents caused by road defects are complicated personal injury cases. One or more government entities may be involved in the case, along with other motorists and third parties.
Fortunately, our Philadelphia car accident attorneys at Zavodnick & Lasky Personal Injury Lawyers have extensive experience handling complex car accident claims. We have a thorough understanding of Pennsylvania personal injury laws and the resources necessary to investigate and pursue complicated cases.
When you hire our award-winning legal team to handle your case, we will:
- Complete an independent accident investigation to determine the role road defects played in the cause of the accident
- Monitor investigations by law enforcement agencies and government agencies
- Consult experts and accident reconstructionists
- Gather evidence to build a solid case against the at-fault parties
- Document your injuries and damages
- File insurance claims and monitor the statute of limitations for filing lawsuits
- Fight allegations of contributory fault and failure to mitigate damages
- Calculate the accurate value of your damages and negotiate for that amount
- File a lawsuit and argue the case in court if the parties refuse to negotiate in good faith
Please call or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our experienced car accident attorneys in Philadelphia.
What Types of Road Defects Cause Accidents in Philadelphia
Even though road defects cause a small percentage of car accidents, the crashes can still result in catastrophic consequences. Common factors that can lead to a road defect crash include:
- Cracks, potholes, and road debris
- Poorly designed roads that cause ponding of water and flooding
- Negligent management of road improvements and projects
- Negligently designed intersections, bridges, ramps, overpasses, and roads
- Damaged and missing guardrails
- Lack of road signs, including warning signs
- Streets that are too narrow
- Hazardous road shoulders and drop-offs
- Inadequate traffic management
- Failing to maintain overpasses, bridges, and roads
- Poorly planned or designed medians
- Failing to install warning and directional signs for work zones and construction areas
It depends on the specific road on which the government entity is in charge of designing, constructing, maintaining, and making repairs. Unfortunately, the government agencies in charge of roads are content to leave most streets in poor and dangerous conditions.
Our job is to identify the government agencies responsible for the road. Once we complete this phase of the case, we can move forward with suing the government entity.
Can You Sue the Government for Road Defect Accidents?
Sovereign immunity protects governments from being sued without their consent. Pennsylvania has waived sovereign immunity for certain negligence claims. Therefore, you can sue the government for damages caused by a road defective accident.
However, suing the government is a daunting process. Special rules apply to these cases, including special notice requirements, shorter deadlines to file lawsuits, and other differences.
In addition to suing the government, you could have a claim against a third party, such as road maintenance companies and road construction companies. The best way to determine your legal options is to contact our office to schedule a free appointment with an attorney to review your case.
What Compensation Can I Recover for a Road Defect Accident in Philadelphia?
The amount of money you could receive for a road defect accident depends on the facts of the case. However, most car accident victims can receive compensation for their economic damages, including:
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Cost of medical treatment and care
- Household services
- Loss of income and benefits
- Rehabilitation therapies
- Medical supplies and medications
- Nursing and personal care
- Diminished earning potential
You can also recover compensation for non-economic damages. These damages include mental, emotional, and physical pain and suffering. You may also receive compensation for decreased quality of life and permanent disabilities.
If a road defect accident results in a death, the family members may file a wrongful death claim for damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Philadelphia Road Defect Accident Lawyers
Accidents caused by road defects can be frustrating. The accident would not have occurred had the responsible party corrected the defect. Now, you are injured and incurred losses because of the party’s negligence and failure to act.
Contact us to schedule a free consultation at (215) 875-7030 with one of our experienced Philadelphia road defect accident attorneys here at Zavodnick & Lasky Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss your legal options.